For those of you who want to take advantage of Pixel 2’s HDR+ processing capabilities on your Samsung Galaxy S9, S9 Plus or any other Android smartphone, you can now use the latest ported Google HDR+ camera which has been tested to work on the latest Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus also. Currently I have tested many other devices including Galaxy S8, S8+, S7, S7 Edge, LG G6, LG V20, and they all work well. This APK should also work on all Android smartphones except for a few. It doesn’t hurt to try so just try it first and you have nothing to lose since you can simply uninstall it if it does not work out for you.
Devices confirmed working 100%:
- Galaxy S9 & S9 Plus Exynos (Snapdragon seems to have trouble although unlocked U.S. model users have said it is working fine.)
- Galaxy Note 8 Exynos & Snapdragon – Grab this one instead as it also comes with Portrait Mode.
- Galaxy S8 & S8 Plus Exynos & Snapdragon – Grab this one instead as it also comes with Portrait Mode.
- Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge Exynos & Snapdragon – Grab this one instead as it also comes with Portrait Mode.
- Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge Exynos & Snapdragon – Grab this one instead as it also comes with Portrait Mode.
- Galaxy Note 5 – Grab this one instead as it also comes with Portrait Mode.
- LG V30, LG V20, LG G6
- OnePlus 5T – Some people are saying it works flawless and some are saying a little laggy.
Devices not working:
- Galaxy S9/S9 Plus Snapdragon
- LG G3
- C9 Pro
- Moto G Plus
- OnePlus One
- Huawei P20 Pro, probably not compatible w/ any Huawei devices running Kirin processor as that processor is much different from Snapdragon/Exynos.
If your Android device isn’t listed, it doesn’t hurt to try. At the worst, the HDR camera APK may not install or simply not work.
What will you get from this?
Google HDR+ processing can help get much better photos in both bright light and low light. The HDR+ processes darks and lights much better than stock camera.
Will I be able to use my stock camera with it?
Yes, after installing the Google HDR+ camera, you will be able to use both your native stock camera or the Google HDR+ camera. You will just have more cameras.
How to Install?
Once APK file has been installed(make sure Unknown Sources is checked ON) then go into camera settings and set the “Config camera HDR+” to “Nexus 6 HDR+ Auto”.
Video Tutorial & Demo:
Q: Why is the camera lagging?
A: Google HDR+ camera is built for Pixel phones and this is a ported version. Try to hold the smartphone with 2 hands and hold it still for best results.
Q: Will there be updates?
A: Yes, these apps are developed by open-source developers and usually they work on their free time. But Google has recently announced open-sourcing their HDR+ and portrait technology so in the near future, it may be possible that phone makers like Samsung and LG incorporate these features into the native camera app. In the meanwhile, we will be researching all of the available Google HDR+ camera APK files to find you the best working ones.
Q: Why do I get banding at night?
A: Since this is a “ported” and highly-modified version of the original Google HDR+ camera, there may be side effect and that may including some purple banding in low-light. However, HDR+ camera works best in good lighting conditions and you will get most out of it where you want to control your brights and darks better. We don’t recommend to use Google HDR+ all the time but in times that require better dynamic range, you should use the HDR+ camera. For everything else, your native camera app may work better.
Credits – XDA
If this Google HDR+ APK file does not work for your Android device, try these alternatives:
What is an APK File?
APK File is a file/app that can be installed on any Android smartphone or tablet. Using an APK file, you can install Android apps manually on your Android device.
You do not need a rooted Android device to install APK files. For installation instructions, please see below.
How to Install APK Files
You will need to make sure Unknown Sources is checked ON in Settings to install APK files. We do recommend you to use a file explorer app such as ES File Explorer, available on the Play Store for free, to install these apps.